With an extra day off due to the May Day bank holiday. I spent my time building the 3D printer I brought. (It had been sitting in its box for a week or two.)
I have used the 3D printer at work for a few different projects. Mainly for build some one off parts and more recently playing around with printing wings with flaps in them. However, I find myself thinking of little things that would be useful around the house or finding them on Thingiverse. So I brought myself on for personal use.
Choosing my 3D Printer
I went cheap. After a little searching on Amazon, I went fro the Anycubic Kossel Linear Kit. Cheap (£220) and reasonable build area with 180 mm diameter and 300 mm height. As I have access to more expensive 3D Printer at work I wanted to see what the cheaper versions are capable of.
3D Printer Unboxing
I am quite impressed with the packaging. There is also a checklist of parts hand kick to make sure everything is in the box.
As well as the manual on the back of the checklist there were links to videos on how to build & set up the 3D printer and also the software. However, not all the bags are marked and I though I was missing some screw when I was laying out all the bags in order as I could not find all the numbers. But after checking the manual it turns out that the missing bags are for the other versions of the printer.
The build was quite easy overall. A few snags with fitting screws into some of the plastic parts due to flashing. Instructions, not 100% clear but still quite good. Also, having a ruler is useful to measure some distances. Like when setting the height of the screws that activate the end switches.
All in all, it was quite easy to build.
Again, relatively easy. (Well for someone with a bit of experience with computers). It came with all the software you needed on an SD card. It just took a little time to fine tune some of the firmware to the exact dimensions of my build and calibrate the nozzle to the build plate. Instructions pretty easy to follow.
The First Prints
The kit comes with some test filament (in bright green) so you can test the printer. I had also added some PrimaValue PLA filament when I ordered it. One white and one black because what’s the point of having a 3D printer with no material to print anything.
There is a little more fine tuning and setting up of the software. Again, when following the instructions quite easy. The test model it asks you to print – a 2x2x1 cm block
I also tried printing these Cubone skulls. They are much more interesting that blocks.